Junior League of Knoxville

Historical Highlights

The Junior Leauge of Knoxville Historical Highlights

  • 1917 - During First World War, a group of Knoxville women organized The Girls’ Relief Corps to help aid in the war effort
  • 1921 - Girls' Relief Corps became the Knoxville Junior League, 3rd League in the south to be accepted into the Association of Junior Leagues
  • 1926 - JLK collaborated in the establishment of the Home for Friendless Babies which has grown into Child and Family Tennessee, now merged with the Helen Ross McNabb Center.
  • 1938-48 - JLK established libraries in three Knoxville Hospitals (Fort Sanders Regional, St. Mary’s and Baptist Health Care) 
  • 1955 - JLK partnered in the establishment of the East Tennessee Hearing and Speech Center which merged with the University of Tennessee in 1966
  • 1960 - The Dogwood Arts Festival was established by JLK in partnership with the Knoxville Chamber of Commerce 
  • 1970 - JLK Donated funds to create a reference library for doctors and staff at East Tennessee Children’s Hospital
  • 1984 - JLK founded Leadership Knoxville in partnership with United Way of Greater Knoxville and the Knoxville Chamber
  • 1987 - JLK developed the Craft-Cart project for East Tennessee Children’s Hospital
  • 1991 - JLK provided a large group of volunteers for the newly established InterFaith Health Clinic, a community-wide effort to meet the healthcare needs of the working poor.
  • 1997 - JLK co-sponsored the first Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure
  • 2009 - JLK is working with the Governor, the Tennessee Association of Chiefs of Police and the Junior Leagues of Tennessee to implement a state-wide Delete Online Predators program
  • 2015 - JLK adopted Women's Safety & Education as its specific focus with emphasis on domestic violence and the self-development of women